Bread pudding scales up or down. Choose an oven-proof pan so the mixture to be baked is about 3 – 4 cm (1 – 1.5 inches) deep.
For each egg, you need 1 cup (250 ml) of milk, one slice of bread, a bit of butter and sugar. I expect each egg serves one person. I use whole wheat bread for extra flavour. It’s a great way to use up slightly stale bread. The butter isn’t strictly necessary, but I like it.
- Butter a baking pan.
- Butter each slice of bread and sprinkle about 1 tsp (5 ml) of white sugar on each one.
- Lay the bread in the baking pan in a single layer. Feel free to tear up the pieces to fit them in.
- In a mixing bowl, Beat the eggs and mix in the milk.
- Pour the milk mixture over the slices of bread in the pan. Push the pieces down with a fork until they’re soaked
- Bake in moderate oven (350 F, 180 C) for about 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean, not covered with milky stuff.
Feel free to embellish with maple syrup or other syrups, but right from the oven it’s pleasantly and mildly sweet.